Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

jevers
Administrator

USA
1367 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2010 :  12:07:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit jevers's Homepage
The 2010 Kelly Cup Champion Cincinnati Cyclones, proud ECHL affiliate of the Florida Panthers and Nashville Predators, announced today that they have named 39-year-old Jarrod Skalde as the sixth Head Coach in franchise history.

The Niagara Falls, Ontario native comes to Cincinnati after spending two years behind the bench of the Bloomington Prairie Thunder (IHL). He has 19 years of service in professional hockey, 17 as a player. Selected by the New Jersey Devils in the second round of the 1989 NHL Entry Draft, Skalde went on to log 115 games with eight different teams in the National Hockey League. In addition to the Devils, he played for the Chicago Blackhawks, Atlanta Thrashers, Anaheim Mighty Ducks, San Jose Sharks, Dallas Stars, Calgary Flames and Philadelphia Flyers. He also played professionally in the IHL, AHL, Switzerland, Sweden and Japan during a career that spanned 1,071 games. In 1992-93, Skalde appeared in four games with the Cyclones putting up three points (1 goal, 2 assists). He was the first player in Cyclones history to have been called up directly to the NHL.

"I'm very excited to be a part of the Cyclones organization," said Skalde. "It's great coming into a place that has had tremendous success with ownership and fans that expect excellence. I'm really looking forward to the challenge and building on that."

A five-time team captain and seven-time assistant captain, Skalde was a member of championship teams in Oshawa (OHL, 1990) and Orlando (IHL, 2001). During his professional career, he scored 308 goals with 513 assists for 821 points. He was named the Utah Grizzles Community Man of the Year while playing there in 2004.

Skalde has learned the coaching craft from some of the best to ever stand behind the bench. He played for the legendary Herb Brooks, Stanley Cup Champion coach Ken Hitchcock, Jack Adams award-winner (NHL Coach of the Year) Bill Barber, and former Cincinnati Stingers great Robbie Ftorek.

"We're very excited to bring Jarrod on board," said Cyclones President Ray Harris. "His years of coaching and NHL playing experience will undoubtedly help him guide and improve our talent. I'm confident he will be able to carry on the championship tradition we've built here in Cincinnati."

Skalde and his wife, Erin, have two children, 12-year-old daughter True and 7-year-old son Skate.

The defending Kelly Cup Champion Cyclones open their home schedule on Saturday, October 30 at U.S. Bank Arena against the Wheeling Nailers. Discounted ticket packages for the 2010-2011 season are available now. For more information, call 513.421.PUCK (7825) extension 3 or visit CyclonesHockey.com.

http://www.cycloneshockey.com/team-news/cyclones-name-jarrod-skalde-head-coach

Stay connected with The CycWard!
Join/Follow/Friend us at:

FACEBOOK PAGE
http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-CycWard-Section-60/14471144997

FACEBOOK GROUP
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=21564286069

TWITTER:
http://www.twitter.com/cycward

fangers
(The Next Level!)

USA
262 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2010 :  12:38:00 PM  Show Profile
&*&%^&*!
Go to Top of Page

hrc666
(Loves To Post!)

1363 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2010 :  12:42:34 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by fangers

&*&%^&*!

What's your gripe about Skalde?

If he's got Harris' blessing it's hard for me to believe that he's not a capable coach.

While I don't know it for sure, it strikes me as probable that Weber gave his blessing to this hire.

His record at Bloomington wasn't special, but that team was one of the Franke "prop ups" that was poorly funded.

Welcome to Cincinnati, Coach Skalde.

"The only way David Desharnais will see an NHL game is if he buys a ticket".
--donnie hockey

"David Desharnais will be invisible during 5 on 5 hockey. IN THE AHL"
--donnie hockey

Edited by - hrc666 on 08/12/2010 12:43:30 PM
Go to Top of Page

JK_112880
(The Next Level!)

240 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2010 :  12:56:15 PM  Show Profile
Whenever a favorite team of mine names a new coach, I always want to give the new guy a chance before I judge him. I see no reason why this situation should be different. Good luck, and welcome to Cincinnati, Coach Skalde!
Go to Top of Page

fangers
(The Next Level!)

USA
262 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2010 :  1:02:17 PM  Show Profile
Don't get me wrong, I hope he does well and proves my gut feeling wrong...but, you read some of the same sites I do and when the the general response to his potential coming to Cincy was:

* from Bloomington fans - relief that he's finally gone, their only complaint that the decision comes this close to the start of the season.
* from other IHL fans - disbelief that he's an ECHL caliber coach and concern now that Bloomington might "hire a real coach"
* from K'zoo fans whose team played against his teams in the IHL - they like their odds against us now alot better.

My gut feel is that the available pool of coaches was very limited at this point and that he was simply someone Chuck knew...again I hope I'm proven wrong, but right now this hire doesn't have me doing summersalts with excitement...
Go to Top of Page

cloneinator
(Been Here Awhile)

USA
597 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2010 :  1:14:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit cloneinator's Homepage
He is certainly going to be under a lot of scrutiny, not to mention having huge shoes to fill.

I too am going to be cautiously optimistic, but Fangers does raise some valid points.

Well, there is one thing we all know...We will have those questions answered by April, 2011.

...And on the eighth day, GOD created the Cyclones!
Go to Top of Page

hrc666
(Loves To Post!)

1363 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2010 :  1:14:50 PM  Show Profile
My read is that it's a mixed reaction from Bloomington fans.

I think it's fair to point out again that the Bloomington situation was far from an ideal one.

Two seasons ago, the team was in such dire shape that needs for vital player equipment went unmet.

Bloomington was propped up (at various times) by the owners of Muskegon (Lisman), Port Huron (Kinney) and Ft Wayne (Franke). Stephen Franke still owns at least a 20% stake in the PT from what I have been able to determine. The team was a necessary cog in the dying IHL wheel, so other owners kept it propped up financially-but barely.

I have read plenty about Tim Leighton (the PT owner). Evidently he's not the greatest employer. Also, Skalde didn't have GM responsibilities in Bloomington, so player personnel decisions weren't his alone.

Bloomington was his first coaching job. He got a chance to "cut his coaching teeth" in a situation which wasn't ideal in many ways. He's no doubt learned a lot about head coaching over the past two years and will now be coaching in a much more favorable environment.

Even though the coaching pool is obviously not as deep as one would like at this point of the summer, Skalde is very well connected and his recruiting ability will be a essential at this late date. He's well known and well connected, so the Cyclones should be able to still recruit some decent players despite August being almost halfway through.

"The only way David Desharnais will see an NHL game is if he buys a ticket".
--donnie hockey

"David Desharnais will be invisible during 5 on 5 hockey. IN THE AHL"
--donnie hockey

Edited by - hrc666 on 08/12/2010 1:16:35 PM
Go to Top of Page

justmom
(The Next Level!)

335 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2010 :  1:22:53 PM  Show Profile
Welcome to Cincinnati Coach Skalde. I hope you are ready to hit the ground running and sign some players.
Go to Top of Page

fangers
(The Next Level!)

USA
262 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2010 :  1:23:44 PM  Show Profile
Don't get me wrong, I'll still support the team like I always have - I'll be there when not at my kid's games - and I'll have to trust management's decision based on their recent history...but...
Go to Top of Page

BP2011
(Been Here Awhile)

USA
531 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2010 :  1:58:29 PM  Show Profile
Skalde had a better 2nd season as coach for Bloomington then his first, but remember Ft. Wayne ran that league and it revolved around the Komets, he has good experience playing wise, and he is with a group of people in Cincinnati now who like him wants to continue to win and the Cyclones will give him those pieces that he probably did not have in the IHL, a change of atmosphere will be good for him, going to a winning team always makes for a better coach.

08, 10 Kelly Cup Champions
08, 10, 14 American Conference Champions
08, 09, 13 North Division Champions
08 Brabham Cup Champions
Go to Top of Page

Catch22
(Been Here Awhile)

USA
676 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2010 :  3:12:42 PM  Show Profile
BIG SHOES TO FILL.

Give the guy a chance. Whoever got the job is going to struggle to meet the expectations. Pretty much nobody knew who that Webber guy was 4 years ago.
Just sayin'.

Yes, I grew up playing hockey... In Alabama.
Go to Top of Page

Catch22
(Been Here Awhile)

USA
676 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2010 :  3:16:20 PM  Show Profile
And please please please start spreading the word NOW that if the team struggles early... No ****ty fan behavior. No booing. No calling for a new coach the minute the team goes 3-7 in the first 10 games.

Its doubtful the team will play well early and nearly impossible to believe they'll pick up where they left off. Player personnel will change (it does every year) and behind the bench things are 100% new.

We're starting over, which we all knew was coming. Support the team and adjust your expectations accordingly.

Yes, I grew up playing hockey... In Alabama.
Go to Top of Page

psychlone
(Rookie)

USA
44 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2010 :  3:53:14 PM  Show Profile
Like some have said, it was a different situation in Bloomington and the IHL. Do we know how much say he had in players and salary? I think it is an entirely different situation here and this team has a winning attitude. I don't think that they would bring him in if they didn't think that he could bring a winning team in.

Welcome to Cincinnati coach! Wish you all the best!
Go to Top of Page

cMan2KellyCup
(Been Here Awhile)

USA
540 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2010 :  3:55:33 PM  Show Profile  Send cMan2KellyCup an AOL message
I don't know much about Jarred Skalde, but then again I didn't know much about Chuck when he was introduced either... and Chuck became the greatest coach in the history of this team. So before you say nay to Jarred Skalde, I say we give him a chance. Who knows, we may have another Chuck Weber on our hands, and if so, it will be fun times in Cincinnati

KELLY CUP CHAMPIONS- 2008, 2010
AMERICAN/EASTERN CONFERENCE CHAMPIONS- 2008, 2010, 2014
DIVISION CHAMPIONS- 1996, 2008, 2009, 2013
2008 BRABHAM CUP CHAMPIONS
Boards + visitors = broken bones!
Go to Top of Page

somebeach
(Loves To Post!)

USA
1224 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2010 :  5:27:15 PM  Show Profile
For those who couldn't attend today's press comference, here is a link....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7X-dhBum5E&feature=player_embedded

What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

ZINGER!!!!!
Go to Top of Page

ClonesFanNKY
(Been Here Awhile)

USA
552 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2010 :  6:37:16 PM  Show Profile
im with fangers on this one! he couldn't even coach
a team to a .500 season in a 5 or was it 6? team beer league?
but as soon as Weber and Dean left i set my expectations very low for
this year. I'm just glad we still have hockey in cincinnati!
so i will give our new coach a chance and say welcome to the Natti Jarrod and good luck to you.

Bring the Pain
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Section 60 Message Board © 2000-2002 Snitz Communications Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000